background

Monday, May 24, 2010

Roses Among the Thorns

The last two months have been.... a challenge to say the least. But you should know that we are the Barnard's, and we don't let challenges get in the way of us enjoying life. So let's for a moment forget all the tears that have been shed these last couple of months and focus on the smiles. (Warning, some of these smiles may result in tears, but the good kind).

Let's first trot the clock back to St. Patty's day. Hunter awoke to find a rainbow of crepe paper leading from his room, down the stairs and into the kitchen. And what do you find at the end of rainbows? Well, duh. A pot of gold! And if you are 2 you also find green toys (dinos, whistles, beads) and Lucky Charms cereal! What better way to start a holiday than downing a bowl of sugar. Not only are Lucky Charms magically delicious, but they also magically turn your milk green. Hunter was quite taken with this spell the leprachauns put on his cereal. By the way parents, did you know what a great motivator for good behaivor leprachauns can be? Just tell your naked 2-year-old that it is time to stop splashing in the tub and get dressed, otherwise the leprachauns will come and pinch his bare bum because he isn't wearing any green. You have never seen a little guy tub so fast!


Next was a very exclusive easter egg hunt in the park. Most of the local children would be there the following weekend to battle over colored eggs filled with goodies. Not Hunter and Makenna. No, no. They were important enough to be there an entire week early. No fighting with any runny nose commoners for their easter treats. These two had the park all to themselves. How do you attain such vip status? You will have to talk to Hunter's people (aka, Janae) and Makenna's people (aka, Ryan and Malissa). You see some how their "people" got the dates mixed up. So Makenna's people (Ryan) made a mad dash to the grocery store for eggs and jelly beans so these kiddos were never the wiser. Always a fun day for Hunter when Makenna is involved. They loved finding their eggs and would get sooo excited when they'd locate one.



Next was Easter morning. This was spent at Grandma and Grandpa Quigley's house. Don't fret young kiddies. The Easter Bunny has made some exceptional technological advances, so if you happen to relocate for a holiday, he will still find you. Hunter loved finding the eggs as much as he did dying them the day before. He was very festive sporting bunny ears for the duration of his egg hunt and scored big with a new basketball hoop. He spent the remainder of the day challenging his uncles to one on one games of basketball and spinning out of control due to his ultimate sugar high.



Now here we go off to one of our favorite vacation destinations, Oakley, Idaho where the livin' is easy. It was a special weekend because little Ally got baptized and her older brother DJ got his Eagle. Ultimate proud mama weekend for Stacie. It was so good to see some of the lovely Barnard gals. I just love these women and look up to them so much. They are all so fun, strong and beautiful. Just being around them strengthens my soul. Hunter and his two cousins terrorized every living creature on the farm. One of my favorite moments is when I witnessed about 5 or 6 chickens come bursting around the corner, running for their lives as if Colonel Sanders himself was after them. Oh, no, their fate was much worse than the KFC legend. Right on their heels (do chickens have heels?) was 5 year old Thomas waving a stick and shouting. Right behind Thomas was 3 year old Henry waving his own stick and behind him was my little caboose pumping those little legs as fast he could to keep up with the older two and the traumatized chickens. These three also collected eggs they found in random bushes, fed the cows, made mud pies and jumped on the trampoline.



Hunter and Hannah have spent the last few months in a Kindermusik class. It has been a lot of fun to go each week and watch them enjoy themselves. They had a special parents night where anyone could come and participate and watch the kiddos do what they have been learning the last several weeks.

I work with the cutest girls. Seriously, I do. They are my second family and I have thought many times that I don't know how I would get by in life without them. These ladies were so sweet to come up with the idea to paint my bedroom. They understood that I was in need of a place of my own that was new and fresh and welcoming. So they told me to pick a day and they would be there with their brushes. It was a wonderful morning hanging out with these gals and painting away the past. The color I picked was called Zen. Appropriate huh? After they left the Fed Ex man brought me my new bedspread. Now my room is as beautiful as my friends (this is where those good tears come in).



I have been promising Hunter since Christmas that I would take him to the Dinosaur park in Ogden, once the weather turned warm. I am convinced that he is part elephant becuase he never forgets. So with spring in the air, he held me to my promise. We took Makenna and Malissa along with us. Hunter held Makenna's hand and walked her through the park pointing out the different dinosaurs and sharing with her their name or some fact. This kid really knows way to much about dinosaurs for a 2-year-old. Inside the museum they met a paleontologist who was working on an allosaurous named Cosmo. He was a cute man who appreciated a little guys young enthusiasm and let the kids touch one of the bones he was working on. This was super cool to Hunter.


I don't have pictures for all of the fun we had, but there have also been lots of fun playdates, birthday parties, sleepovers, a visit Grandma and Grandpa B's, and lots of hugs and loves. My belly is getting bigger by the second, literally. I think I grew an inch while putting this post together. Hunter tries to listen to the baby with a stethascope we have, only to be let down. He asks me each day if today is the day the baby comes out. Each time I tell him I wish it was. I asked him if he thought the baby would have blue eyes like him or brown eyes like me. He looked at me matter of factly (and with a tinge of annoyance) and said, "Mom, we are just going to have to wait and see." I love lazy mornings on the couch watching Dinosaur Train and Super Why while my little Hunter wraps in to me as close as he can, which sets the baby off in to a wiggle fest which just doubles my joy in the moment. It is those moments I hold on to. Where for a minute, all is peaceful and right in the world. I have had so many of these moments that there are days where I actually believe that the world is right.

5 comments:

carolee said...

Janae, you are such a fun mama. You two are always going on great adventures.

Rat Fam said...

Janae- You are an amazing woman! I am amazed at how strong you are. Keep your head up and HEY- what are friends for? :) Love ya!

Erin Stones said...

I live like 5 minutes away from the dinosaur park here in Ogden, wish I would have known you were coming up and we would have joined you. I hope that you are doing well!

Marrott Family said...

Super fun Post! You should be an author...I wish I lived closer to tag along on all these adventures...Hunter is our little future Ross :) Now a pic of the new bedspread/room!

tanya said...

We love you Janae and love that you work with us, we wouldnt want it any other way. We can't wait to see that little boy. You have strenth, I wish to have! I look up to you in many ways. I love reading your post, they bring tears *good ones* and smiles all the time! Can't wait to see the next post!