background

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Precious Baby Terminator


So I have to throw in some background on this story. One of my cheesey nicknames for Craig is "My Terminator." I warned you it was cheesey, but I call him this because I always feel so safe when I am with him. I feel like he could protect me from anything; ninjas, grizzley bears, you name it. Another necessary side note to this sotry that is that I have a true phobia of snakes. My fight or flight mode kicks in to high gear at just a glimpse of one in a book or on TV. So having said all that, here is my story about my Precious Baby Terminator.

While in St. George last weekend we decided to go for a quick little hike one evening. As soon as we hopped out of the car and started up the trail the crazy person in my head sprung in to action calculating our chances of a snake encounter. The equation looked something like this (time of day x width of trail) + (landscape/temperature)= JUSTIFICATION FOR PANIC!!!!! I tried to silence this crazy person with logic, but everyone knows crazy overrides logic and I began yelling manic demands at Craig and Hunter. "Stomp your feet so they know you are coming!" and "Stay in the center of the trail, THE CENTER OF THE TRAIL!!" and "Don't let go of Hunter's hand!" Craig patiently rolled his eyes and lovingly obliged. Hunter, on the other hand, had his own agenda and wasn't thrilled about not being allowed to pause to pick up a rock or chase after a lizard. Craig whispered in his ear, "Just do what mommy says, she's crazy and scared of snakes."

The next day we found ourselves on the Arizona strip for more desert adventure. As I was getting things out of the car Hunter surveyed the situation and tenderly approached me. "Mommy scared....buggies?"

"No, mommy not scared of buggies sweetie. Mommy just doesn't like snakes."

And this is when my little man invented way #139 to melt my heart. He reached out his little hand and with all the confidence and assurance a 1 year-old could muster he said, "Mommy safe," and he took my hand to lead me off in to the desert. It looks like I've got two terminators looking out for me. Those snakes can just eat it!!

10 comments:

carolee said...

Okay, that's just too sweet. That pic of Hunter is just precious!

Emily said...

I love this story SO much! We all need a baby terminator in our life. Cause you're absolutely right we DO all know that crazy always win, especially in a Mom's world! Glad you're safe and sound.

The Lyon's said...

That is the sweetest thing you have to love when kids so pretty cute things for their parents.

Marrott Family said...

I'm still hurt we never saw eachother in St. George. I even bought that same shirt Hunter was wearing in blue/white. I miss you.

Rat Fam said...

He is the cutest little thing! How sweet. I am petrified of snakes as well and that would be why I leap over the sidewalk area at work . . . I wish not to have another incounter with the nasty things!

Malissa said...

I was just showing Makenna pics of Hunter and she kissed the computer screen! :) Ahh puppy love!

jayne said...

Okay that brought a tear to my eye! How sweet he is and how hilarious you are! I love how your write your stories. Love ya Janae!

Jann said...

That's so sweet. And that picture of him is awesome.

Tasha said...

we just changed our blog address be sure to update it!

*~**~Matina & Kamie~**~* said...

how funny! he is a cutie and u got a great set of guys!